Prison Program Incarcerated women have a much more extensive history of early sexual abuse than women in the general public.
Re-Entry Initiative Critical time intervention (CTI) has been recognized as best practice in medical fields for decades.
Community Engagement Increased incarceration has contributed to family disruption, and the inter-generational weakening of particularized communities that have high rates of female-led households.
Time in prison can be a time of reflection, and a turning point in a woman’s life. Many have a real desire for a change. Yet, many women are released with no better plans of how to live than when they went in. Without healthy relationships and a supportive environment that...
Portal Houston provides female-specific recovery programs inside Texas prisons. For over 18 years, women have received healing through the programs below. Their healing is the beginning of their life transformation.
- Glory Revealed – cognitive restructuring centered on issues of childhood trauma.
- Possessing the Land – Preparing emotionally and spiritually for reentry.
Chapel Services SCHEDULE
Plane State Jail, Dayton, TX – 1st Sun 12:00 PM Service – Jan, March, May, July, Sept, & Nov.
Portal Houston conducts a strength-based intake interview with women who are 3 months of release from state prisons. Participants are then invited to be matched with a coach who will collaborate with them to prepare their Reentry Plan. Plans will include such essentials as safe housing, basic needs, education, counseling, job readiness, family reunification, and giving back to the community. Each plan is as unique as each woman coming home to Houston, but always includes these components:
- Pre-release Planning that includes service linkages with Portal Community Partners
- Case Management with quarterly updates
- Post-release Re-entry Coaching for 1 year
The Portal is a passageway to other community services. It is a community of women making their way home to the greater Houston area, supporting one another and sharing resources. We also provide in-house services.
- Monthly support groups with guest speakers and discussion.
- Anger Management small groups.
- Healing Trauma – small group recovery.
- Career Development
- Money Management classes.
- Emotional Intelligence in the workplace.
Portal Houston provides a forum for reentry service providers to work together with the criminal justice system to reduce female recidivism.
- Addressing Core Challenges for Reintegrating Women
- Developing Programs to Close Gaps in Services
- Recommending Policy Changes
Whole Heart the first of a series of safe transitional homes managed by Portal Houston. Here women find healing and are encouraged to build on their strengths.
- Warm, family atmosphere.
- Custom-made Care Plans for each resident.
- Increased capacity for women to become responsible productive citizens.